Special Interest Groups
The
visit to the interest group provided real life experience and information that
forced me to think critically about my view of interest groups and the role
they play in American politics. I went into the meeting with a common view of
corporate interest groups: a political entity that stops or promotes
legislation in accordance with a corporation’s agenda. My perception certainly
changed, but I still feel that interest groups, specifically corporate interest
groups, are heavily problematic in pushing legislation that does not benefit the majority of people.
One
of the most interesting things about the visit, was determining how the
interest group was similar and different to the definitions and examples that
were discussed within academic setting of our class discussions and literature. Most of the similarities I
noticed between the group and the literature was the composition of client
companies in the interest group. In class, we discussed that interest groups
are started by those who have time, and more importantly, money. This was made
evident by viewing the client list of the organization to find multiple
well-off businesses seeking the advice of the interest group. The organization
reaffirmed that interest groups who represent corporations and businesses can
have a greater say in legislation. In the article, “What We Get Wrong About
Lobbying and Corruption”, the author explains that 80% of lobbyist related
spending comes from businesses. Businesses can then capitalize on this spending
by hiring groups that know the legislature and the nuances of both the state
and federal government to produce information, and if necessary use their
connections to move legislation through a governing body.
An
additional similarity I noticed between our class discussion and the visit was centered
around federalism. In our class, the discussion of federalism focused on
the important role that both the state and federal government plays in our
lives in addition to providing multiple points of access for interest groups and
legislators to meet and discuss pieces of legislation. I found it interesting that many
of the client companies seeking help from the interest group were corporations
that were not satisfied with the speed of Congress and
thus chose to pursue lobbying options at the state level. I was especially intrigued
at the idea of lobbying at the state level because of the complex relationship
between states and companies. Companies, especially large corporations can have
extremely large influence in state economies and can leverage business friendly
legislation in return for bringing jobs to the local area. These are deals that
cannot happen as frequently at the federal level because the issue and
financial stake is no longer localized, instead it becomes an area of debate
with the federal government.
In
the speaker’s discussion of term limits, I noticed a similarity between his
position and the Washington Post article, “The Solution to Lobbying is More Lobbying.”
Although the speaker and the article were addressing different issues they both
reached similar conclusions. The speaker explained that term limits would cause
experienced politicians to age out of the political process, leaving younger,
less experienced legislators at the mercy of interest groups. In the Washington
Post article, the author, Lee Drutman, explained that the problem of excessive
lobbying will not be remedied by simply limiting the funds that can be spent on
lobbying or limiting the access that lobbyists will have to legislators.
Drutman explains that lobbying can become more balanced by advocating for “citizen
lobbying” that would have a fund matching program to prevent unlimited lobbying
power from an organization. While the issues addressed are different, both our
speaker and Drutman address putting limitations on the extent of lobbying by
strengthening the voice of voters.
Although there were many
similarities between the speaker and the academic constructs of interest
groups, one difference was the diversity of thought. In chapter 1 of “The
Importance of Groups in Politics and in Political Science,” the author
mentioned that diversity of opinion within interest groups “can lead
to incoherence” in message and result in “a low collective impact” (18).
Contrary to this belief, the speaker explained that the office was extremely
bipartisan. The office included two CEOs, one republican and one
democrat, as well as having ideological counterparts work together on certain projects. This
practice strictly contrasts the idea of forming a group with a narrow interest. In addition, the divided nature of republicans and democrats has made bipartisan work rare in our current political climate. I was further intrigued
by the bipartisan approach of the group, not because there are no bipartisan
issues, but rather, business and economic issues have become one of the most
divisive subject matters in our politics, especially policies that either cut
or expand corporate tax rates or the altering of government intervention in business activity.
Overall, I
believe that visiting the interest group and reading the academic literature provided similar
views of special interest groups, specifically the way they are established and maneuver
through the federal government. That being said, the interest group did have an
interesting approach of having employees of different political ideologies work
together to create a bipartisan atmosphere and allow for moderate policies to
prevail. This one specific difference between literature and the actual practice of interest group does reveal that interest groups can be more complex than divisive political rhetoric would imply.
I agree with your assessment on corporate interest groups. I too no longer consider them as evil as I once did. However, I worry about the few having more power than the many simply because of money and other factors that allow corporations to organize so effectively. The system seems flawed since there is no other way to have the kind of access interest groups attain, without also joining the process and organizing with likeminded citizens (or corporations). And as stated in the literature and in the blog post above, citizens with money are the ones who create interest groups and therefore the ones with more access. The high majority of lobby spending from businesses is concerning when considering influence. Additionally, the clientele of the company that the class visited does not do much to break the bad stereotype around interest groups and lobbying.
ReplyDeleteContradictory to what I previously thought, interest groups are interested in the state level. We touched on this topic in class, but it wasn’t until I learned more about our speaker and his company’s goals that it really sunk in. This new path around the poorly run legislative branch of the federal government emphasizes the importance of state and local elections. Before the 2016 election, I had never heard anyone talk much about the power of elected officials at the state and local levels, but now I feel like it’s all I hear about because it’s the place where fundamental change is going to happen. With that in mind, the gray area that interest groups inhabit leaves me a tad uneasy.
I think there should be term limits unlike the thinking of the reading and our speaker. However, I agree with both: voters need to understand their power over the government better.
I enjoyed learning that the speaker works in a very bipartisan office, especially since that seems less popular in DC since the past election. The reading talks about a narrow interest and I don’t necessarily think that must include political parties, depending on the issue. The more bipartisan an interest group is, the more effective it should be, no? Especially since their company works at local levels diehard Republicans and Democrats should be able to put their differences aside. On top of that businesses creating jobs and a better economy in an area must be easier to do bipartisan lobbying for. However, I have no political background so who am I to know what will be easier?
Overall, I feel like I understand lobbying and the people who work in that spectrum a lot better, but the idea of a small group of affluent people having more control than the rest leaves a sour taste in my mouth.